Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fishing off MacMillan Pier in Provincetown

I caught my first striped bass off MacMillan Pier in Provincetown. 


I used to go fishing with my grandpa all the time. I loved the time we spent together away from it all in the middle of the nature, but I am ashamed to admit that I've never caught a striped bass in my life. 


...until a few days ago.


Of course, there are plenty of fishing charters in Provincetown, such as Beth Ann, Cee Jay or Ginny G., but one can also do it on their own, off MacMillan Pier, with no license required.


I was still at work the other night when I got a call from a friend saying the tide was perfect and that we should go fishing that night. I was totally unprepared for it, but he was kind enough to provide a pole and lures for me.  


It was late at night (around 11pm) and I was more than reluctant regarding the success of our venture. I was either being too realistic or had little knowledge of all the good signs mother nature was giving us that night: shy breeze, high tide, little activity in the harbor, the quiet hour when fish get hungry (allegedly) and the alignment of the stars (I made this one up).  


There I was, 6, 7 casts in when I felt a strong bite and saw my pole bend. What a feeling that was. I felt like a little kid again, very proud, while looking at my friend to see if he's watching. Then, as my grandpa would always say when I caught a keeper, my buddy acknowledged my achievement with a "Great job!" I don't know if it was beginner's luck, but I was the only one who caught something that night.


Luckily, the brave fish was under the legal limit that allows one to keep it and I let it go back into the ocean where he belonged. It flapped its tail and swam away without looking back. With that image in my mind I realized I should have taken a picture so that I had proof of my deed, but it was too late for that..."There's always next time, I said to myself." 


With Family Week coming up in Provincetown, July 30-Aug 6, fishing is one of the many activities in town that allow parents and children to spend quality time with each other and have a great time in our amazing little town. 


Stay posted for more happy thoughts from Land's End! 
rdl 

No comments:

Post a Comment