Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Notes from Land's End: February 21

Offseason – The Television Series
By Laura Shabott 
February 21st, 2012 
Nathan Butera and Jake Fink


When I heard that locals were making a television series about Provincetown’s offseason, my first thought was: “I’m living it so why would I want to see a show about it, right?”


That was until I watched the OFFSEASON YouTube sizzler reel. NYU Film School MFA graduate (2005) Nathan Butera has created a winner of a show. He deserves a round of advanced applause for the professionalism and production quality that snarky, year-rounder me didn’t think was possible to create at the end of the world.


Provincetown.com
Nathan was kind enough to answer some of my burning questions about OFFSEASON:

Q: What inspired you to write and produce this television series?

A: I was in the middle of a divorce from the relationship that had initially brought me to Provincetown. When the marriage failed, I had already lived here for two winters. During that time, I was drawn to the theater and cast in OUR TOWN and THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR. I directed short plays and attended the Playwrights Lab.



However, I’m a filmmaker at heart and considered leaving Provincetown for Los Angeles. When I really took the time to look around me and noticed all the untapped talent, stunning landscapes, classic architecture and all the writers, it was one of those ah-hah moments. This town has its own television station, radio station, airport, marina, art museum and cinema. I said to myself, “Duh, if I can't make films HERE, then I have no business going to LA anyway.”

No comments:

Post a Comment